Burn permits are required in order to burn in the Town limits. NEW RULES HAVE GONE INTO EFFECT
The Town Council passed Ordinance 305-09-2017 regulating Open Burning in Shady Shores in order to comply with State Regulations. There are some new rules that you will need to be aware of:
1. Burn permits will now be issued by the Lake Cities Fire Department- Please call 940-321-2141 or 940-321-0733
a. Permits will be issued for one year
b. Fire Department Personnel will make a site visit before issuing the permit
c. You must still check each time you burn to ensure that it is a burn day.
d. Only natural materials generated from the resident's property.
For more information about the new process please call one of the numbers listed above.
2. There are some new rules for burning:
a. Burning must be conducted downwind of or at least 300 feet from any structure containing sensitive receptors located on adjacent properties unless prior written approval is obtained from the adjacent occupant with possessory control.
(1) Fires in APPROVED containers that are not less than 15 feet from a structure.
(2) Fires that are three (3) feet in diameter and two (2) feet or less in height shall not be conducted less than 25 feet from any structure.
(3) Bonfires shall not be conducted within 50 feet of any structure unless in an APPROVED container.
(4) Recreational Fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material.
(5) Potable Outdoor Fireplaces shall be used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and shall not be operated within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material.
(6) Open Flame Cooking Devices- charcoal burners or other open-flame cooking devices shall not be operated on combustible balconies or within 10 feet of combustible construction.
Any outdoor burning without the proper permit may result in a citation being issued. If you have questions about the permitting process please contact the town staff at 940-498-0044.